In a span of two years, five people in Los Angeles were killed so brutally, that the bodies of the victims were described as 'broken'. The perpetrator of these murders is the Southland Slasher.
Between 2002 and 2004, Al Schmidt was killed in Glendale. No further information about his death is available.
Mitch Iberson was murdered and dismembered in March 2002 in Long Beach. His remains were thrown into the sea and, in the third week of March, parts of his body washed ashore.
In October 2004, Mike Mateo's corpse was found hanging from a light pole on the Santa Monica Pier, with entrails spilling from his shredded abdomen.
- The facts, the modus operandi and other information perpetrated by the Southland Slasher, closely resemble those of the serial murderer,
- They killed a total of 5 people.
- All victims were dismembered.
- One of the Ripper's victims, Elizabeth Stride, was not dismembered due to an interruption; as with the case of Mike Durbin.
- The police could never solve the case.